Most of us have faced anxiety at some point in our lives. This can range from slight worry about an upcoming event in your life to severe panic attacks.
Depression is common too, and can show itself in many forms. From a lack of motivation to a state of deep depression, it can easily cripple your ability to live a free, happy, and fulfilling life.
Sadness is one thing. Sadness is a natural reaction to difficult times in your life. But when it lasts for days or even weeks, it’s usually indicative of a much deeper issue.
What Causes Depression?
Depression can show itself in many different forms. Postpartum depression often comes about at any point from a few weeks to a year after giving birth. Seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, is caused by the gloominess of winter, and is more severe the further away from the equator you live. But there are many other types of depression, and each has its own cause.
Dealing with depression is easier if you know the cause. Some of the causes of depression include, but are not limited to:
- Nutritional deficiencies, especially in vitamin D or omega 3 fatty acids.
- A thyroid condition, including hypothyroidism.
- Life stresses (overworked, job/financial insecurity, death, divorce, interpersonal conflict, bullying/harassment, etc.)
- Social isolation, whether actual or imagined.
- A side effect of pharmaceutical medication.
Do I Have Depression?
If you have any of the following symptoms, you may suffer from a deeper issue related to depression:
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering.
- Fatigue or exhaustion.
- Feelings of guilt, hopelessness, pessimism, and other low mood feelings.
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping.
- Nervousness or easily irritable.
- Lack of motivation, or loss of interest in the things you once enjoyed.
- Excessive weight gain or weight loss.
What Causes Anxiety?
Anxiety is often a response to what’s happening in the world around us, but it can be triggered by internal factors as well. Some of the causes of anxiety include, but are not limited to:
- Situations reminiscent of past traumas.
- Stress from work, school, finances, etc.
- Withdrawal symptoms from an addictive substance, such as caffeine, nicotine, oxycontin, or illegal substances like cocaine or heroin.
- A genetic history of anxiety
- Thyroid issues, including hyperthyroidism.
Do I have Anxiety?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may have a deeper issue related to an anxiety disorder:
- Tense muscles and a difficulty relaxing.
- Trembling, shaking hands or legs.
- Nausea and a churning stomach.
- Headaches or backaches.
- Heart palpitations.
- Numbness in your arms and legs.
- Excessive sweating or flushing.
Can anxiety be cured? Can depression be cured?
Naturopathic medicine, through the use of botanical medicine, nutrition, and other therapies, can provide natural cures for depression and natural anxiety remedies to help your body restore balance and relieve you of these difficult mental stresses.
There are anxiety and depression remedies available. If you suffer from anxiety or depression, contact Dr. Nardini, ND today for your FREE 15 minute consultation, and to discover how naturopathic medicine can help you overcome these problems.
Latest posts by Dr. Pat Nardini, ND (see all)
- How To Repair Your Thyroid Naturally Through Meditation - August 15, 2015
- Health Issues Caused By Poor Digestive Health - April 1, 2015
- Digestive Health Solutions - January 11, 2015